|October 12-30||MAP Testing|
|October 30||Character & Costume Day|
|November 13||Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC)|
|November 16-20||Spirit Week|
FOR A COMPLETE LISTING OF ALL SCHOOL EVENTS, VIEW OUR WEBSITE CALENDAR.
WORKSHOP FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL PARENTS
On Tuesday, October 27 from 2-3 PM, we will have a workshop for all parents of middle schoolers. In the workshop, Supporting Your Middle Schooler, we’ll explain our philosophy and expectations for middle schoolers, the transition to 6th grade, as well as have time for mingling and question and answer.
If you’re the parent of a middle schooler, please plan to join us! Translation will be available.
IMPORTANT CALENDAR UPDATES
Please note important calendar updates for November.
• November 9 is a regular school day. (This was originally a day off for students.)
• November 13 is Parent-Teacher Conference day. (This is a day off for students.)
Our Key Semester Dates calendar is updated and located both on our website and our WeChat menu. Please click (HERE) to view/download a copy. This calendar lists important semester dates and holidays, so you can plan your vacations and time off accordingly.
Also, please check our online website calendar regularly (HERE), as this is where you'll find both key semester dates and information on WYIS and iSC events.
CHARACTER & COSTUME DAY OCTOBER 30
October is always a fun month at WYIS, partly because we have a day to dress up and come to school in costume. Character & Costume Day is Friday, October 30. Below are specifics by department:
- ELEMENTARY: CHARACTER DAY - Each elementary classroom has selected a theme that connects with their class. Teachers are sending home information to parents with more details. Themes by grade are noted here: EC3 Letters; EC4 Disney; EC5 Fairy Tales; G1 Super Heroes; G2 Animals; G3 Fall; G4 Book Characters; G5 Vocabulary.
- SECONDARY: COSTUME DAY - Students can dress up in the costume of their choice. Secondary students have been given more details on what is and is not appropriate for Character & Costume Day.
Though wearing costumes at school is fun and different, we do have guidelines. General uniform rules for modesty and safety apply. Also, no scary costumes (no blood or gore, etc.) and no weapons.
If a student's costume or clothing is not appropriate, they will be sent home to change. Students who choose not to dress up must come to school wearing their regular school uniform or Spirit Wear Friday gear. Students are still expected to change into/out of their PE uniforms as usual, if October 30 is a PE day for them. Questions? Please contact your child's teacher.
SPIRIT WEAR FRIDAYS
Dress code on Fridays now includes Spirit Wear! Instead of students wearing the usual uniform polo, all students can now wear any WYIS logo wear top. This includes hoodies and t-shirts sold in our lobby, as well as athletics shirts or other official WYIS logo wear. Students can also wear nice jeans (modest, no holes) on Fridays only.
Go to the lobby today to get your Spirit Wear from Buffalo Goods. Our hoodies and t-shirts are all on sale! Get ready for a special sale for 11/11, too! (More info in the coming weeks.)
PARENT WORKSHOP – KOREAN COLLEGES
On Friday, October 30 from 10-11 AM, we will have a workshop for all parents of secondary students. In the workshop you will learn how to prepare for Korean colleges, the college application process, and review the Korean college admission results for the class 2020 from all iSC schools. Please plan to join us. This presentation will be in Korean only.
MAP TESTING IN PROGRESS
MAP Testing continues this week and next. Below is the schedule:
• Week 2 (October 19-23): Grades 3, 4, and Middle School
• Week 3 (October 26-30): EC5, Grade 1, High School
To learn more about MAP, please visit https://www.nwea.org/parent-toolkit/ or contact your child’s teacher.